I have this problem, you see
It seems those around me don’t know what I’m thinking
Don’t know what I’m feeling
Don’t know my fears
They don’t know, most of all
My happiness, from time shared
Or hugs traded
From jokes made
And comments said
I need to be reintroduced to words
Not written words
I need you to hear
- 1 in 6 women and 1 in 33 men will be a victim of sexual assault in their lifetime.
- College age women are 4 times more likely to be sexually assaulted.
- Every 2 minutes, someone in the U.S. is sexually assaulted. (This figure does not include victims 12 years old or younger.)
- 60% of sexual assaults are not reported to the police.
- Approximately 73% of rape victims know their assailants.
- Only 6% of rapists will ever spend a day in jail.
Slowly, carefully a school bus
Hats, coats, mittens, scarves, boots
Run, slip, tumble, fall inside
As humanity vanishes, nature emerges
As society dulls, nature sings on
Birds speak, fly
Wings slice the falling snow
Turn your ear and close your eyes
Snow beneath tires
Cement below shovels
Snow still falls, but I suppose there are to-do’s still to be done
Snow’s whisper becomes lost